12 July 2012

Tellin' On Myself

So I went to dinner and the waiter looked at me funny when I reminded him about the “Special Chicken Like Chef’s Momma Made”. Turns out the Chef has his day off and nobody knows how to do whatever it was he was going to do.

I got Scammed.
Hoo-Dooed.
Hood Winked.
Bamboozled.
But they did try and do something off the menu, and it was good – just nothing to write home about.

And yet. Here I am. Writing about it.

But of course, that’s not the point here. I just tell that in order to close that story.
The point is, that after dinner I wandered across the courtyard to the bar to grab a few beers. He wasn’t ready for me and had to run to some other place to get them, so no problem, I just sit down at the bar and wait.
There is a French (?) couple sitting there who order something I can’t hear, but I realize the bartender isn’t familiar with it. He pulls out a book and looks it up. Smiling, he reaches under the counter and removes a bottle of Grand Marnier, a bottle of Kahlua, and a bottle of (you guessed it) Baileys Irish Creme.
They ordered a B-52.

Ah, the memories.  Camille's Restaurant.  San Genarro's.  The 1980's.  Tony and Tammy. Jay and Lucia. Ed and Mary Vann.  And Big Elise! 
Good times, Good times.

So while the bartender is busy preparing the concoction; I look at the 2nd bartender bringing in my beer and say “He is making a B-52, right? Well, let me tell you a story …”

Sorry, Elise, but I just had to.

I continued “Way, way back in 1992 …” and I begin to tell the story of a certain New Years Eve with Chip and Laurie (neighbors across the street) where we spent entirely too much time and effort huddled around a table built for a two year old, our knees buckled up under our chins as we sat in those far too little seats, trying to make B-52’s where the goal was to get the layers just perfect.
By this time, the couple who actually ordered the drinks, were intently listening to me and the bartender and by the time I got to the part where I had to be the one to get up with Sam at the crack of dawn New Year's Day so Elise could sleep, I had everyone in the room (all 5 of us) listening and howling with laughter.

But I learned the secret.

Pour the baileys first, then the Kahlua, and the Grand Marnier last.  AND for layer #2 and #3, pour it slowly over the back of spoon so the liquid spreads out and doesn’t force its way through the previous layer resulting in a soft application of each ingredient on top of the previous.
Boom.  The perfect B-52.
Of course that doesn't mean much when Big Elise just stirs hers up anyway.

Just thought you ought to know how its done and that I spent 15 minutes "Tellin' on myself" to total strangers.

And I know what you are asking .... But, no.  I didn't have one.  Certain pasttimes are reserved to be shared with only the special people in your life!

(And of course, I didn't have my camera)

No comments: