11 July 2012

Customer Service

Everything here is very customer service oriented.


I had dinner and was told they only have Kingfisher or Corona Beer. I finally had admitted to myself that Kingfisher is just really bad, so have been enjoying the cold Coronas. After dinner, I stopped by the bar to get a few extra to put in my room fridge. I noticed that the bar had Carlsberg Beer and I asked why he had it and not the restaurant. He didn’t know why. So I got the two cold ones he had plus two at room temperature and headed to my room. Two for that night and two to get cold for “Happy Hour” on my porch the next evening when return from work.
The next day, I arrived at the restaurant and my waiter friend announces, they now have Carlsberg for me. Pretty slick. They have worked behind the scenes. After dinner, I stop by the bar to get four more, and bartender says “I have 4 extra cold ones waiting for you.”
These guys are paying attention.

I haven’t even used a menu after the 2nd day. Each evening before I leave, the waiter and the chef stop by the table and ask what I want tomorrow. They tell me what they can do and plan my menu in advance of special food prepared how I want it based on their recommendations.

Last night was some local Kingfish with dry Indian rub grilled over fire. Medium spicy. Potatoes and crab soup. Tonight the chef said “you will have spicy chicken cooked like my mom taught me to cook it with lobster soup.” Should be interesting. And without my asking, they have pre-reserved the table at the edge of the restaurant closest to the beach that gets the most breeze and laughed as they said they have requested a strong breeze for me.

Sunday, I was sitting under a thatched roof hut on the beach enjoying the breeze and reading a book. A hotel person shows up with a cold wet towel for me to use on my face and head to stay cool. I was the only person out there.

I got into the car Saturday night to ride to the hotel and the driver, Mr. Sam, hands me a cold bottle of water and cold Coke. He says, I remember last time you like Coke, so I brought you one. Wow. That was 3 months ago. And every day, when I get in the car, the other driver (he has told me his name so many times, but his accent is so thick, I can’t understand what it is) has a cold water bottle and a cold Coke ready. They must be keeping a file.

However, sometimes, the customer service does get in the way, though. My porch light doesn’t work, but I don’t care because I wasn’t using it anyway. It just feels cooler to sit in the dark and listen to the waves on the beach. I was sitting out there when housekeeping came in to turn down the bed and leave tomorrow’s weather forecast and she tried to turn the light on for me. When she discovered it didn’t work, she called maintenance. Four guys with a step ladder and full electrical gear showed up at 09:30 PM. Um, thanks for thinking of me, but why don’t y’all come back tomorrow when I’m not here and do this? They were embarrassed they didn’t think of that.

Now if they would just fix the hotel internet to run fast enough to actually be able to log on and stay logged on; I would truly be spoiled.

And I am including this picture noit because it has anything to do with this post; I just wanted to share it with those who have not already seen it ...



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mitchell,
I haven't replied in awhile, so I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy reading your posts!
... Phil A.

www.martymercer.com said...

When I was in Chennai in March, our meeting room had a "room manager" I guess you would call him. When he found out I wanted black coffee at the breaks, a steaming cup of black coffee would appear up front at my presenting spot, right as everyone was leaving the room for the break, same in the afternoon. Very prompt, always with a smile!