05 June 2013

Who's the Driver?

I am staying at the Pargon Hotel.  Its a good 5 star hotel in China and I admit, they do treat me pretty well.
As part of their service, all vehicles entering the property pass through the security gate where the nice unifomed guard will give a quick scan to a credit card sized card and then hands it to the driver.  This scanning opens the gate (and I'm pretty sure takes a photo of the license plate). When you leave, you return the card and they open the exit gate and you depart. This takes maybe 4 seconds either direction so its not a hassle and doesn't slow anybody down.   I asume the purpose is so they know what vehicles are on the property at any given moment because a car may be there a few minutes to several days and good vehicle security would be important to both Hotel Management and Customer.  Of course, if a taxi arrives, they don't bother to give them the little card because they will only be there 2 minutes to either drop off or pick up.  In and out.

Now, the General Manager of our plant, Bill, only lives a few blocks away so he picks me up/drops me off everyday.  He drives a black Volkswagon sedan.  Every time he enters the property they give him the little card and he returns it as he leaves.  The usual pattern for the morning pick up is that after breakfast, I settle down into a chair near the Assistant Manager's lobby desk so I can watch the front door for Bill's arrival.  I don't really need to do this because after a week, the doorman, or bellhop, or Assistant Manager will recognize him pulling up and then come tell me that he has arrived.

We also noticed after about a week the guards stopped giving Bill the card at the gate; they just wave him through.  We joked about this because the guards obviously believed he was a private driver contracted by the company to ferry me back and forth to work.  We also believe that the doorman thinks the same as each morning he opens the back door of the car for me and then looks very puzzled when I proceed to get in the front passenger seat instead (why do you want to sit up here with him?).  Bill and I have enjoyed the odd humor that the GM is thought to be the lowly driver.

So today, I thought I would mess with everybody - including Bill.
The Assistant Manager motioned to me this morning that Bill was pulling up and she walked me towards the car ("I wish you nice day."), I said to her "Please do me a favor, I need to stop at the Bank of China down the street to get some cash from the ATM, so please explain to my driver that I would like him to stop and wait as I run in, get some money and then he can continue on to work."
I get in the front seat (more puzzled looks) and she sticks her head in the window and very dutifully explains my needs.  Bill looks very confused and looks at her and then at me and then back to her.  He nods his head and answers affirmatively and we pull out.
He says "If you need money, you just ask me to stop.  Why you make her tell me?"
I said "Because if you are my private driver, then I figure you don't speak English and I needed help to explain what I need to do."
There is a slight pause as that thought registers and Bill begins laughing so hard he has to pull over to the side of the driveway to avoid a wreck.  He says "Now they really do think that the Genaral Manager is really the private driver!  Why you do this to them?"
Why? Because it just seemed the thing to do.  And both of us laughed all the way to work.

And that is my weird humor story for the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny. LOL. "Why you do that to them"? "You so funny"!
... Carol C