14 June 2013

A Day Off In Changsha

We finally managed to get a day off so we decided to head up to Changsha for the day.

Xu Jifu and Yang ShaLi

I ended up traveling with Yang Shali and her husband Xu Jifu.  We could have hired a private driver, but its actually easier to scheduel if we just rode the bus, so that was our decision.  Yang Shali is new to our plant transferring from our Wuxi City facility, so while she speaks the Chinese (of course), she is unfamiliar with the area and where the bus station is located.  She helped ask for the bus ticket, but they depended on me to help navigate the maze they call a bus station.  The ticket is for the Changsha Railway Station which confused her because we weren't taking a train; but she folllowed my lead and was amazed we arrived where we were supposed to!  Imagine that.


Yang Shali & Li Mi

We were to meet Li Mi in Changsha who now works for a different company, but Li Mi and Yang Shali know each other from earlier times.  I was surprised to discover they know each other very well and it appears as though they are twin sisters from different parents.  Jeff and I just laughed at them carrying on together and he commented that it was highly possible they wouldn't talk to us all day they were so engrossed with catching up with each other.  Some things are universal, I have decided. At any rate, the bus ride was uneventful except for some reason there was a big commotion by the ticket lady to make sure everyone wore their seatbelt.  I don' t know why.  Nobody was putting them on.  Nobody was going to put them on.  I chuckled with the young girl across the aisle from me about that fact.  She agreed.


We finally arrived in Changsha and met up with Li Mi.  We went to the YueLu (Yoo-loo) Mountain because as it was a warm day (85 F), we knew it would be cooler under the trees.
This is really a beautiful place.  Home of one of the original 2000 year old universities.  There are some pretty open air classroom buildings, gardens, ponds, landscaping - all that stuff.  Marty and Josh have been there.  I admit that I have never walked all the way to the top of the mountain.  While the path is only maybe 3/4 mile long; it is very steep and not for the unprepared.  Of course, that means ladies in their fancy skirts, dresses, and high heels are scampering up this path like mountain goats. I have been excersizing more lately and was ready (with proper footwear) to tackle it this time only to learn that Li Mi had bought tickets to ride the little tram to the top.  So we rode the tram (golf cart for 12 people).  Honestly, I am glad we did that because I used my phone to map the journey.  As you can see from the picture, the 1st mile (as mapped) was us walking around the bottom through the gardens and flatland.  Can you guess where the tram ride began?  Marty - I'm glad we didn't try to go all the way to the top when you were here back in 2010.  We both woulda died!  I was reminded of the "Assault on Mt. Mitchell" bike race in South Carolina and wondered how those riders would fare on this slope?  LueYu is much shorter, but the steep grade would be just as challenging.


The view was spectacular as we looked at the mountains to the west and the cityscape to the east.  If you look closely, you can see Orange Island in the middle of the Xiangjiang River and at the far end you can just make out the huge bust of Mao perched on the point.


Mountain Ranges to the West.  City View and Orange Island to the East (The bust of Mao is on far right edge of island)
After this visit, we wandered around the old city for awhile and had dinner at the Fire Palace Restaurant.  As always, it was loud with a crazy rush all around you.  Good food; but the pace is incredible.  Yes, Li Mi ordered the Stinky Tofu (Tofu fried until carbonized black) - it is really nasty, but she claims to like it.  Yang Shali and Jeff didn't even try it - and they are Chinese; so what does THAT tell you?
Marty 2010

And since I'm talking about Stinky Tofu, I figured I could pull out this old picture from when Marty "pretended" to like it ...

We finished dinner and caught the bus back to Xiangtan.  The bus was full and nobodywanted to sit next me as the Laowai (old foreigner).  Some 12 year old kid had to do that, but as he slid in by the window seat he turned to me and said "My name is Benny" and shook my hand.  He promptly began to look out the window and then drift off to sleep; but it was nice to see at least someone isn't scared of me!

The whole day provided a good "battery charge" and maybe I can now better face the work days!  Maybe.



And of course - we did stop at Starbuck's for a refreshment!




2 comments:

www.martymercer.com said...

I thought we did climb to the top. I remember some steep road and lots of kids surrounding Milly on the way down.

سما المثالية said...

شركة متخصصة فى الخدمات المنزلية بالمملكة العربية السعودية
شركة سما المثالية 0535609607
تقدم لكم شركة سما المثالية خدمات داخل المملكة العربية السعودية بالرياض والدمام والاحساء والقصيم
الخبر القطيف الجبيل راس تنورة سيهات صفوى
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء
شركة عزل اسطح بالقطيف